Monday, November 30, 2009

Art Funding Cuts finale.

Final Review
VIVO INTERNSHIP

My outcome from this internship has been very positive. I have learned how to be more self-directed and to see things from a business side. Kika (from VIVO) decided to treat me as if I was pitching this idea to her as she wanted me to get a real-life feel and also have me leave with something for my portfolio. I have learned not to just rely on the client`s input, but also on my own judgement as I cannot be spoon-fed everything. I feel this has been a very valuable experience as it was a taste of what`s to come in the future of my career. I feel that when you leave school you may not be fully prepared for your actual job. Do you really know what to expect or how things will or will not work in the real world?

I feel that I can now call Kika a peer and someone I can consider a “Connection”. She is someone I would love to work for in the future as well.
I ended up taking on a solo project that taught me how to self direct what I wanted to do and then have Kika treat it like it was a pitch towards her. It started with t-shirt designs about the BC Art Funding cuts, but then progressed into documentation to make an interesting “youtube” worthy video that would become popular yet with a political message about our funding cuts. I am planning to pursue this further after this DIVA course has ended. I found I was working more alone than anything else besides Kika’s guidance. I did talk to some people who came to view the art pieces at VIVO but besides that I seemed to be on my own.

I originally assumed I would be helping with the Signal and Noise show, but ended up just being more on my own. I learned to be more disciplined with time frames and figured out my limits as a person and what I could do when given the space and freedom. I was basically spoon-fed since high school and through Langara. This was the first time I have actually had the chance to think on my own and do something.

So I have made t-shirts to go with the Art Funding Cuts! I had to do a lot of learning from the screen-printing process as it was very difficult to make a “do-it-yourself” kit for home use. DO NOT BUY IT. The final product in my opinion turned out great and Kika loves it! I did some picture taking and some filming for the shirt as promotion. Each photo session was done in different scenarios to point out how the funding cuts will affect BC. I am going to be taking this further and re-shooting and photographing with better equipment. This is just a basic look at what I plan to do in the future. I am currently video –editting the videos to make a full length version. I have uploaded small unedited clips on youtube that are random.

-PROCESS-



-MODEL 1- Sheila Wong









-MODEL 2- Jeremy Malins







-MODEL 3- Sachi Komori






-MODEL 4 and 5- Julia Pfeifer and Carven Li








No comments:

Post a Comment